Friday, November 16, 2012

Bing. Blah.


I've heard Bing referred to as the "Myspace of search engines", and there's definitely that feeling when I use it.  I don't get into it, and I really don't see what Bing offers that Google doesn't, other than an extremely stingy point-earning system that can be redeemed for gift cards or something.  To be honest, though, my searching is so scattered and irregular and often done without even thinking of a point system, that I'd just as soon use Goodsearch, that gives money to charity with search, and designate a charity then forget all about points being earned, because in the back of my head I know that it's automatically going to help others.  Otherwise, I'm wondering how many Bing points I have, and if I should redeem them or not, or just let them get forgotten.

I've compared the results of Bing vs. Google, and Google just seems so much more robust with what it returns.  I would think that both engines would have similar capacity to seek out and catalog the web - images/video, etc, but Google is just the champ.  I prefer Goodsearch for most general searches for information (99% of the time I'm just looking up the definition of a word of a bank phone number) but if I want to find something of depth, like what the group "Breathe" has been recording since the 1980's (apparently very little) then it's going to take something of Google magnitude.  As for Bing, I just don't see the appeal (nice splash images on their main page, though...)

No comments:

Post a Comment