Saturday, May 12, 2012

Free Rice Game

Bored of social media and other inane avenues of pointless online activity? Then check out the Free Rice online game. It's strangely addictive, you're helping out with a good cause, and, if you're not careful, you might just learn something! (insert sly smile)

Seriously, though, I've been using this to try to improve my Spanish, although I'm not sure I'll ever need to use some of these words, like "el nacimiento = birth" (I mean, maybe I'll somehow be in a strange situation in which I need to tell a Spanish speaker a word like that, but more than likely it will be words like queso, lechuga, and no pimiento verde.) Oh, who am I kidding... I know a total of roughly 12 words in Spanish, all of which I manage to mangle when I speak to a native Spanish speaker. I'm sure something about the inflection and tone in how I say something as basic as "como estas?" probably makes me sound like a total goofball. But what can I say, I'm trying, and Texas is gradually reverting back to Mexican again, so I'm trying to get ahead of the game when all of the signs and restaurants revert to a language that I can only mangle when I attempt to speak.

Hey, to anyone in the sound of my voice: any suggestions of a good program for learning spanish? I'm thinking I just need to find a jovial spanish friend, who can reach me the nuance of the langauge and correct my nonsensical abuse of the language. Either that, or I'll just earn a billion grains of free rice playing this game and pick up the language THAT way...

Online game to end hunger

No comments:

Post a Comment